At the CSSM, we aim to develop theory and methods to better make sense of the complex relations between humans, nonhumans, microbes, and their environments. We now invite applications from researchers, groups or collectives to join this network and organise theory production seminars external to the University of Helsinki!
The CSSM seminar grant is a competitive grant call to organise a 2-3 day seminar on a theme and at a location proposed by an applicant external to the CSSM. The objective is to maximise the opportunities for networking among social researchers and artists conducting research on human-microbial relations at the applicant’s host institution (or nearby). Similar to what we do in the CSSM, the seminar should aim to develop theory and methods to better make sense of the complex relations between humans, nonhumans, microbes, and their environments.
Vision, innovation and creativity will be key factors in selecting recipients for this grant, as will be the potential of the seminar to support/develop collaborative networks beyond the applicant group and CSSM. Applicants from the Global South and members of minorities are especially welcome to apply.
Successful application will require institutional affiliation in order to process the payment of the grant. The seminar should take place between March and December 2023.
Please submit your application, between 2-5 pages, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th of February 2023. Your application should at least include:
- the theme and rationale of your seminar
- time, location and planned number of participants
- how does the seminar contribute to theory development i.e. to better grasp the complex relations between humans, nonhumans, microbes, and their environments?
- budget plan (max. €11,000) including breakdown of costs
- the innovation and creativity of your vision
- (possible) previous experience organising event and institutional support – potential outputs
- networking plan – how do you intend to expand this network?
- how does the seminar benefit the Global South and members of minorities (if applicable)
We are looking forward to your applications! We will aim to get back to you with our decision by the end of February.
Please spread the call in your local networks, thank you!